ECON 3011 Government and the Economy
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 200532
Coordinator Margaret Moussa Opens in new window
Description This unit focuses on the nature of state activity in the economy. The unit introduces students to different analytical approaches to the economic role of the state and considers their practical implications for economic policy analysis.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Equivalent Subjects LGYA 4318 - Public Finance
200525 - Principles of Economics, 200549 - The Australian Macroeconomy.
- To ensure students can undertake analysis of the economic and financial aspects of government activity, including:
- To ensure students understand the different theoretical approaches to government economic activity.
- To have students understand the scope of government activity in historical and international context, and can use analytical concepts to gain that understanding.
- To ensure students are able to understand contemporary problems in public finance and apply analytical categories to inform that understanding.
- To ensure students can undertake analysis of specific public finance proposals or problems and present that analysis in written and verbal forms.
The historical and theoretical development of public economics
The state in the context of theories of institutionalism, corporatism, planned economies and bureaucracy.
Public expenditure in economic theory and policy applications.
The economic significance of the welfare state.
The relations between the state and the ?gprivate?h sector.
The connections between the microeconomic and macroeconomic policy.
The nature of the state in a globalised economy.