ECON 3009 Financial Institutions Management
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 200061
Coordinator Selim Akhter Opens in new window
Description This subject provides an introduction to the theory and analytical techniques relevant to the management of Australian financial institutions. The subject presents a thorough examination of the major financial risks faced by Australian banks, and methods of measuring and managing these risks.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
In order to optimise learning outcomes and skill development students are encouraged to have successfully completed or have the assumed equivalent knowledge of the following subjects: 200488 - Corporate Financial Management, 200048 - Financial Institutions and Markets.
- Critical thinking skills to provide potential solutions for theoretical and/or real-life problems in the banking industry, drawing from a wide range of techniques used in the banking area and also other disciplines such as management,
- Appreciation of the inter-disciplinary nature of banking and its relations to areas such as HR Management, Organisational Management and Psychology,
- Information literacy through self-reliant research on current issues, including the identification and evaluation of relevant information and conducting research on an academic standard,
- Improved numerical skills through understanding and applying various measurement techniques used in banking and through interpreting derived results.
- Appreciation of the interrelatedness of the various areas and functions in a banking institution,
- Appreciation of the importance of work ethics, cultural considerations and integrity in banking institutions.
Measuring performance of financial institutions
Asset and liability management
Interest rate risk measurement and management
Liquidity measurement and management
Managing the securities portfolio
Operational risk measurement and management
Governance and psychology considerations
Current regulations and developments
Current issues & pertinent topics
Case studies in banking