DESN 3012 Publications
Credit Points 20
Legacy Code 101013
Coordinator Dan Johnston Opens in new window
Description This subject examines the role of publication design as a promotional tool. Students explore a range of print and online promotional forms and are involved in the design and production of publications for specific target audiences, including approaches to layouts, image and text relationships, typography and graphic forms. Within a studio environment, students gain an understanding of publication production and visual narrative methodologies through the exploration of media areas appropriate to the project requirements.
School Humanities & Comm Arts
Discipline Graphic Design Studies
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 20cp
Check your fees via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Pre-requisite(s) DESN 1006 OR
Students will have (a) advanced understanding of communication design processes and theories, (b) intermediate knowledge of one specific visual communication practice e.g. graphic design, photomedia, illustration and/or interactive design, (c) ability to use the computer programs InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator in a Macintosh computer lab.
- Develop objectives and strategies in response to a project brief, emerging forms of contemporary publishing and the limitations and creative possibilities of working within a budget.
- Organise complex information across multiple-page documents or online publications using typography, image, colour and grids.
- Utilise cognitive problem-solving to organise creative imagery, typography, form and graphic messages.
- Apply formal typesetting skills to compose large bodies of text.
- Produce a body of work that demonstrates understanding of a variety of media appropriate to a project's requirement.
- Generate A sequence of magazine spreads that communicate The content of The written Article and magazine theme.
- Create and apply extra content and An appropriate style guide, layout strategies, logo and cover design.
- Evaluate The stages of The Visual design of The magazine spread in relation to theme, content and Target audience experience.
- Respond to team critique.