CULT 1018 Understanding Society (Block Mode)
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 101763
Coordinator Sharon Kwok Opens in new window
Description Understanding Society will introduce students in the first year of their studies to key concepts and theories used in examining and understanding social action, social policy, social institutions, social structure and social change. Students enrolled in the subject will be introduced to factual information concerning contemporary societies and the methods of interpreting such information. At the conclusion of their studies in this subject students will have been presented with opportunities to develop skills in critical reading and sociological analysis.
School Social Sciences
Discipline Society and Culture, Not Elsewhere Classified.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your fees via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 1 subject
Equivalent Subjects LGYA 7648 - Introduction to Sociology 1 (AREPMETRO)
Students must be enrolled in 1689 Bachelor of Community and Social Development
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- demonstrate their knowledge and understanding of key concepts and interpretive traditions in sociology
- identify relevant sources, and assess approaches to, and claims about, social processes and institutions
- analyse social processes and institutions from a broad understanding of contemporary society
1. The Sociological Perspective
2. Groups and Social Control
3. Social Inequality
4. Social Institution
5. Social Change
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|1a. Essay plan||500 words||15||N||Individual|
|1b. Essay||1500 words||40||N||Individual|
|Quiz - Online short answer questions||3 x 250 words||45 (15 each)||N||Individual|
- Henslin, J., Possamai, A and A. Possamai ?Inesedy (2013) Sociology: A Down to Earth Approach (2nd ed.), Pearson Australia, Frenchs Forest, NSW.