COMM 1031 University Study and Communication Skills 2 (Block Mode)
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 102053
Coordinator Corrinne Sullivan Opens in new window
Description This unit further develops skills acquired in University Study and Communication Skills 1. It also provides opportunities for students to: develop knowledge about working in teams; research a topic of their choice; practice and present a formal oral and visual presentation to their peers; and prepare an associated written report.
School Social Sciences
Discipline Written Communication
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 1 subject
Pre-requisite(s) COMM 1030
Equivalent Subjects COMM 1025 - Practical LiteracyCommunication Skills (Block Mode)
Restrictions Students must be enrolled in program 1689 - Bachelor of Community and Social Development.
- Use library and on-line sources to research topics
- Create PowerPoint presentations
- Critique and deliver oral presentations
- Write formal reports, demonstrating skills in critical reflection and analysis
- Work in a team via vUWS discussion board to prepare an oral presentation
- Use APA citation and referencing skills
How to prepare for a PowerPoint presentation
How to develop oral presentation skills
How to write a formal report
How to incorporate critical reflection and analysis in writing
Team work development
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
- University of Western Sydney (2013). UniStep guide: Making the transition to university (10th ed.). Sydney: author.