BUSM 7085 Strategic Bank Management
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 51173
Coordinator Anil Mishra Opens in new window
Description This unit examines a range of contemporary issues facing financial services firms in the twenty-first century. The unit provides an in-depth examination of changing demands and needs of the various stakeholders of financial services firms and a major emphasis is put on the evaluation and analysis of resulting implications. For each identified issue, major conclusions are drawn and strategies developed to deal with the associated challenges and opportunities for management. Special topics are covered in line with pertinent events in the industry.
Discipline Business And Management
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Pre-requisite(s) BUSM 7031
Students must be enrolled in 2705 Master of Finance, 2702 Master of Applied Finance, 2704 or 2745 Graduate Diploma in Applied Finance or 2708 Graduate Certificate in Applied Finance.
200426 - Corporate Finance and 51166 - Credit and Lending Decisions.
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- The major challenges financial services firms face in the 21st century,
- The conflicting perspectives of financial services firms stakeholders and arising challenges and opportunities,
- The impact of regulation, experience and market forces on corporate governance structures and associated issues, challenges and opportunities
- The need for internal controls, governance structures and arising challenges and opportunities for the management of employees and managers,
- The role of competition and entry barriers to the industry and the arising challenges and opportunities for existing financial services firms,
- The major concepts behind mergers, acquisitions, strategic alliances and downsizing activities as well as associated rationales, challenges and opportunities.
- The changing landscape of The financial services industry
- The Customer Challenge: Product & service innovation
- Regulatory demands & market forces: The need for Stronger Internal Governance Structures
- management of employees & managers: how to align firm objectives and organisational behaviour
- Competition and entry to The financial services industry
- Mergers, acquisitions & strategic Alliances
- corporate social responsibility in The financial services industry
- six sigma as A management tool in financial services Firms
- performance management: Shareholders vs. Debtholders vs. management