BUSM 7030 Facilities and Venue Management
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 200846
Coordinator Colin Sheringham Opens in new window
Description Increasingly, hospitality-orientated businesses involve large scale or specialist facilities and venues which require ongoing development, maintenance and redevelopment. This unit provides an understanding of key principles involved in the design and redesign of the use of space, drawing on the principles of servicescapes and planning for a customer experience. Consideration is given to the functional, organisational, environmental and aesthetic aspects of facilities and venues, in the context of organisations which need to manage revenue and distribution channels to remain competitive and sustainable.
Discipline Business And Management
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Students must be enrolled in a postgraduate Business program.
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Analyse the challenges facing hospitality managers in the development and design of facilities and venues in terms of asset management and financing, environmental sustainability, or risk management;
- Make recommendations to enhance the hospitality context and the �eservicescape�f in ways that use assets efficiently, are environmentally sustainable, and/or minimise risk to employees, customers and assets;
- Identify and discuss aspects of asset management in relation to servicescapes and sustainability;
- Comprehend and document issues of ownership, management and franchising in hospitality;
- Detail the relationship between facility and venue design and the customer/guest.
1. Hospitality facilities and venues ? design, maintenance and redesign
2. Servicescapes and leisurescapes as areas for the delivery of a hospitality experience
3. Incorporating environmental sustainability into facility and venue design and operations
4. Ownership of facilities and venues
5. The role of the guest within a facility or venue
6. Functions, organisational, environmental and aesthetic elements of design
7. The role of design in generating revenue
8. Distinctions of form and function in facilities and venue design
- Compiled readings