BUSM 3046 Managing Organisations and People
Credit Points 20
Legacy Code 200886
Coordinator Jayne Bye Opens in new window
Description This online unit will enable students to critically reflect on and analyse key management tasks including processes of people management. It also explores how context shapes management practice and the importance of understanding the management of organisational change. It takes a problem-based approach to management learning and combines academic understanding of management issues with opportunities to apply knowledge. Students will have the opportunity to identify problems in their own workplaces and use management concepts, tools and techniques learned in this unit to make recommendations to address the problem.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 20cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Restrictions Students must be enrolled in 2773 Bachelor of Business Administration or any Western Sydney Undergraduate program where permission has been granted by that program's DAP or Academic program Advisor.
- Explain the knowledge and skills required for management;
- Identify and articulate workplace problems amenable to management intervention;
- Identify a repertoire of concepts, tools and techniques for solving management problems in the workplace;
- Apply the skills required for effective management problem-solving to the workplace and/or case study scenarios;
- Apply Human Resource Management (HRM) concepts through problem-solving;
- Apply change management concepts through problem-solving;
- Demonstrate research skills and the ability to apply theory to workplace practice;
- Use critical thinking and reflection to question personal assumptions and attitudes to management practices;
- Demonstrate skills in online participation and collaboration to produce knowledge;
- Write and produce management reports that can be understood by a diverse audience.
- communicating and managing communication
- Problem solving and decision making
- planning and control: making things happen
- managing information
- Understanding people at work
- The psychological Contract
- Understanding leadership within management
- Working in groups and teams
- Recruiting and selecting staff
- managing performance
- learning and development
- organisational culture
- The organisation and The external environment
- managing change
- On line materials will be supplied through vUWS.