BUSM 1014 Introduction to Business Studies
Credit Points 20
Legacy Code 200879
Coordinator Louise Ingersoll Opens in new window
Description This online unit is the first in the degree in business administration and is the introductory unit in business studies. It explores the question 'What is a business?' and investigates the business functions of human resource management, accounting and finance, and marketing. Different internal and external elements of a business are introduced, and the context in which a business operates is explained. Students will explore the common aims and characteristics of business - investigating what makes them different. Business structures, cultures and functions are identified and the political, social, economic, technological and ethical considerations affecting business are introduced.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 20cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 1 subject
Incompatible Subjects BUSM 1038 Management Dynamics
Restrictions Students must be enrolled in 2773 Bachelor of Business Administration or any UWS Undergraduate program where permission has been granted by that program's DAP or Academic program Advisor.
- demonstrate their knowledge and understanding of the nature and purpose of business organisations
- discuss key concepts relating to business functioning, survival and success
- identify the role of HR, Accounting, Finance and Marketing in business organisations
- analyse established ideas, concepts and techniques of leadership and management and apply this knowledge to examine problems
- communicate information, ideas and arguments effectively using appropriate styles and language, to specialist and non-specialist audiences
- read and interpret information presented in a variety of forms and perform relevant tasks of analysis and evaluation
- develop the ability to reflect on theory and to use specific business knowledge to enhance work/practice
The structure, culture and role of business organisations, the complex dynamics of organisational environments and how organisations understand and interact with their environments
An introduction to human resource management in business
An introduction to accounting and finance in business
An introduction to marketing in business
The different ways of looking at business